Powered By Blogger

Thursday, October 16, 2014

A Need

I'm going to write a bit off topic from my normal video game reviews.  I've been having this need, one so overwhelmingly powerful that it breaks my heart that I cannot pursue this need.  I have worked in medicine for 12 years, taking care of stubbed toes and drunks.  Working in the ICU as given me the opportunity to take care of people who truly need medical care and yet they are still ungrateful and rude.  The Ebola crisis as been rampant in the news and this is where my need comes from.  I have this desire to go and actually do what I was trained to do in medicine, help those in need.  So many people are dying, children are being left orphans, pain and chaos are blanketing these areas.  They have little medical supplies, lack of medical professionals, and lack of medication to help these poor people.  I know there is a major risk of traveling there and it is a quite high percentage of contracting Ebola yourself if you do, but this doesn't matter to me.  I need to help these people, I need to hold their hands and let them know that they are not alone and not forgotten.  There is only one problem, I can't.  I can't afford the costs for me to not work and travel to Africa to help these people.  The World Health Organization is accepting volunteers but I do not have a passport and there is no way to obtain one quickly.  I feel helpless listening to the news as the numbers increase relentlessly of cases and as political figures in Africa beg for help.  Every time the news turns towards Africa, I feel tears welling up in my eyes.  I wish I could go and help.  I would give anything for the opportunity to give to a community that so desperately needs assistance.  Luckily not all is lost, there are so many organizations here in the states that will need help gathering medical supplies to send to Africa, and I will have to be content with at least helping in that minor aspect.

No comments:

Post a Comment